I’ve been getting a walk in during the time of the evening news lately, so I’m sketchy on details. I don’t think I want to know the details. I just know that anti-Asian hatred continues to spread.
It doesn’t feel good to know my friends are experiencing my same kind of pain.
What else can I do? How do I pour water on this fire? I’m sharing because there are things we can all do.
- Be aware of what’s going on in your community. Know what local churches and organizations actively support Korean American, Japanese American, Thai American or others of Asian American heritage in your community.
- Support local Asian American vendors and restaurants. Buy locally. Is there a listing of local Asian American businesses in your community? Create it. Share it. Support.
- Be informed. Read to know Asian Pacific American history. Use fictional literature movies or TV shows as a window into cultures with which you may not be familiar. I’m realizing I don’t know a lot of Asian American history. I can’t wait for Paula Yoo’s book From a Whisper to a Rallying Cry which I’ve heard about for quite a while now. Definitely, I’ll read more.
- Speak up when you hear racist, bigoted or hate-filled talk. you might choose to take on the attacker or you may choose to use your words to ‘show up’ by speaking words of kindness and support if the talk is directed at an individual. Walk away with them. Shielding them is a very safe, productive option.
- Connect with Asian Pacific American friends. Check on their well-being and be vigilant regarding their physical as well as emotional safety.
- Don’t let this be a moment. Don’t let this be a hashtag or a cause.
There are times when people go out of their way to prove they’re one of the good guys. In my community, we call their performance bending over blackwards. Be sincere in your efforts. If you can’t do anything more genuine than offer to passive resistance by reading book or spending or donating money, then do that. Buy a shirt. Purchase it as a gift if you’re not Asian American!
We’re all in this together my friends. None of us is free until all of us is free.
Be well and do good